Thursday, October 10, 2013

Chapter 6 & 7

Just like values in chapter 4, socialization is a lifelong process through which people are taught and where they learn about society.  All throughout out lives we learn socialization at every level: individual, interpersonal, group, organizational and institutional. Socializing helps shape who we are, our skills and values and beliefs and what we gauge is right and wrong.

The great nature versus nurture debate, in which people are arguing if our behaviors are learnt biologically or through socialization.  Role-taking (Mead) is a process in which we are concerned about how others will act.   Charles Cooley describes the process of the looking-glass self in which it is the "I" versus "me".  When using "I" you are simply seeing yourself as only one person.  The "me" represents the part of oneself that sees themselves as an object and is concerned with societies expectations.  Kohlber's stages of moral development stuck out to me because my children are young and these are different stages that I would be looking at.  In the first stage, pre-conventional, a child acts according to what is expected from him/her, what they learned as right and wrong, Second stage, conventional stage is where children see what they learned as right and wrong and compare is to what is socially acceptable (or cool with their friends of the week).  Lastly there is the post-conventional stage where children/people are concerned with others more than the law.

Sigmund Freud believed that there were three elements that made the personality: id, ego and superego.   When we're born we develop our id (inborn drives) (i.e.: communicating through crying when baby is hungry).  The ego's job is to prevent the id and the superego from becoming dominant. The superego is our conscience, it is not inherent it is learned through social interactions.  Family is considered the primary of socialization and also determines the child's social class.  Families also teach the child values that they will hold for the rest of their lives.  Schools are another place where children interact and socialize.  Schools set expectations for children to test their achievements through competition, to self-descipline, to cooperate with others, and obey rules.  Peer groups are very influential to young people.  They spend more time together outside school as well. Religion can also be a very influential part on a child's life, learning what is right and wrong and acceptable.  The mass media also influences children in numerous ways, through shows and ads.  Some researchers believe that mass media shapes not only what we think but how we think.

The section of the chapter on socialization of gender roles was a bit difficult for me, only because I treat my son and daughter the same. I try my best not to be boys are more active and can do more for themselves and girls are dainty and just supposed to be cute.  I grew up with my father telling me that he didn't want his daughter riding a dirt bike or doing BMX because I'm a girl and I'm not supposed to. I always told myself that I wouldn't do that to my kids.

Deviance is a variation from the norm or social expectations.  The opposite of deviance is conformity.  Durkheim even stated that deviance is a normal part of society.  It helps define limits of social tolerance, defining how much you can violate something without going over the boundaries of the social norms.  I think that deviance is socially defined because societies create what the norms and expectations are.  There is only so much deviance a society will allow, so really the society is trying to conform its members.  

No comments:

Post a Comment