Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Chapter 13 & 14

I do identify myself as a Christian and with this being said, there are certain standards that I follow and that I set for myself. Some of them which are just in trying to be a good person and others to be a good Christian. I try to lead by a good example for people I meet and may not even meet, and for me most importantly my family (my children).  I try to be nice to others and I try to mindful of others feelings, thats the way I was raised (in a Christian household) and the way I choose to be. I choose to identify myself as a Christian (among other things) and I thus (try to) behave like one.

For others who believe in different religions they behave accordingly to their beliefs. For example, those who follow Judaism eat kosher foods have pray and study daily.  Male children are circumcised on the eighth day after being born.  When Jewish boys become of age they go through a bar mitzvah that signifies the coming into manhood. Those who believe in Judaism and practice it show it in their behavior and their everyday lives.

Muslims believe in a God as well, and just like Christians, their God is perceived the one and only God.  Muslims believe that women are to be subordinate to their husbands and their husbands may have more than one wife.  With that said, Muslim men are able to divorce their wives by a simple pronouncement and dowry repayment.  Women seem to have less rights and less ability to do the things that men are able and allowed to do.  Women don't have a fair chance at education, work, or money.  For someone outside the Muslim religion it seems that women are treated unfairly, of course majority for this feeling is because I was raised differently under a different religion. If I was brought up under the Muslim religion I am sure that I would have no problem submitting to men and having less money and ability to get a higher education. I am by no means saying that how they are treated is wrong or that they shouldn't subject themselves to that kind of treatment, if that's the way they were raised and they don't mind it then to each his own.  So specifically the Muslim women have a more subjective behavior to men than do other women of different religion.

Hinduism and Buddhism have similar beliefs, in the sense that when one dies the soul/spirit will be moved into another form, reincarnation.  This specific belief affects the way one lives their current life, in your current life you do good and abide by the rules of the religion in order to be put into a better or equal form of your current. An example of this could be, if in your current life you're a bad person and don't abide by the rules of the religion your next form of life may be as a roach.

I attended a public high school for freshmen and sophomore years of high school and then a private school for my junior and senior year of high school.  I believe that it truly depends on the student themselves, if they fit right in with a public or private school setting. My class size at the public school I attended was very large, my graduating class was probably some where around 300+ students, while the private school I later attended only had 23 people in our entire senior graduating class. The one-on-one attention is much better at a private school, even without tutoring you get more attention (student-teacher ratio). With a public school I feel (and saw for myself) that teachers were stretched out thin over a lot of students, with a lot of the students having a serious lack of interest in school. I know there's something to be said about the teen years as well, but it was hard for me to get by in the public school system and I honestly wasn't going to graduate on time either. I made the decision to switch schools, public to private, and was lucky that my family could afford it.  The private school I switched too had a whole different set of standards and they consisted of me taking a bunch of extra classes; and because it was a private religious school I had to also take religion courses in order to pass and graduate. I was making up for credits I didn't have and ones I needed as if I went to public school. But even with that heavy school load, sports, music, work and disabilities I graduated on time with great grades.  I tend to see that a lot of times, students that come from families that don't have a lot of money go to public schools, while those that can afford it go to private school. But in my school there were a mixture of students, ones that came from a lot of wealth, to those that simply only had enough to get by.  My private school consisted of different races and ethnicities and different religions, but all there for one purpose...to learn and get a great education.  So having gone to both public and private school, I have to say for this individual, myself, the private school system is what worked for me. But of course on the other hand you have my husband who went to a public school (that isn't the greatest now) and went to school with folded folder paper and a pencil in his large pockets of his cargo pants, sometimes would skip out on a class or two, but senior year had all extra curricular activities and graded with a 3.4 GPA. So again, it depends on the individual student themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment